April 27, 2014

Maxi-Peel Skin Exfoliant

I stopped in my local Asian grocery (88 Ranch Marketplace) to stock up on yummy Asian fruits, veggies and general stuff you can't find at regular grocery stores. They didn't have a dedicated cosmetic/skincare aisle, but at the checkout, I spotted some papaya whitening soap and bottles of Maxi Peel Exfoliant 1 & 2.
Upon further investigation, I saw that the ingredients included tretinoin and hydroquinone. It was only $5.99 so I picked up a bottle of #2 strength to try out.
I got home and Googled the product and saw that it is highly touted in the Philippines and saw some great b&a shots from people who used it. It is thin like an astringent and to apply it, you swipe it with a cotton pad or spot treat with a qtip. I was concerned because mine was a dark brown color which probably means it had been exposed to the air and is oxidized. Would that affect its effectiveness? We shall see. It also comes in 4 strengths. The grocery only had 1 & 2.

Day 1: Swiped it all over my face in lieu of Stridex at night. Avoided my lips, eyes and nose creases.
It didn't sting or burn or anything like that and when I woke up the next morning, there was no peeling. Being that it has tretinoin, I fully expected it to peel overnight.
Day 2: Swiped in the AM and PM. Felt a slight sensation at night... It must be working. It wasn't a burning sensation... Kinda hard to say. Tingly maybe?
Woke up the next morning with light peeling on my chin. It's working!
I'm indoors at home all day, so I slathered on a layer of thick moisturizer over my sunscreen. By the end of the day, the peelies were coming back. Time for more thick moisturizer and also some almond oil.
Day 3: This is where the trial ends for now because I didn't want to have an awkward peeling mess for my trip this weekend. The peeling subsided and I moisturized and oil cleansed all day to get rid of the last bit of flakies.
I know hydroquinone is known as a no-no product, but my mom has used it for ages with no ill effects and for me, it also doesn't provide any negative effects. Your mileage may vary.
This is DEFINITELY a product you should spot test before normal use. 

Review of Maxi Peel Exfoliant Liquid

No comments:

Post a Comment